The best way to extend the life span of your vehicle is to keep it clean, serviced, and maintained. While it’s important to focus on the internal parts of the car, you shouldn’t overlook the protection of its exterior.
One of the best ways to protect the external beauty of your vehicle is by waxing.
Wax does more than make your car look clean and shiny. It is also beneficial and necessary in order to maintain the quality of your car’s paint. Below are some helpful tips about waxing your car
1. What is Car Wax?
Car wax is a formulated blend of solvents, oils, and waxes designed to add a layer of protection to the vehicle’s paint. Good car wax will also bring out the beauty of the vehicle’s paint job.
However, the main reason that we use car wax is for protection.
A good waxing job can provide excellent protection from heat, moisture, UV rays, pollutants, and the dreaded oxidation process.
2. What’s the Difference Between Car Wax and Car Polish?
It is easy to become confused about the difference between car wax and polish.
Car polish is mainly used as a remedy to remove grease, dirt, grime, and scratches that may remain after a fast car wash. The chemicals in the polish can remove, or reduce, the impurities that are found within the surface of the paint.
While a polish can leave the exterior looking clean and shiny, it doesn’t offer any protection for the paint like car wax.
3. What are the Different Types of Car Waxes?
Car waxes can be categorized as the following:
- Natural Car Wax – This is a naturally occurring wax, such as beeswax or Carnauba. For many enthusiasts and collectors, Carnauba is the most popular choice of wax due to its superior shine and protection.
- Cleaner Wax – When it comes to ease of use and convenience, the cleaner wax comes highly recommended. It is referred to as an all-in-one product, because it can clean, polish, and provide a layer of protection for the car’s paint.
- Finishing Wax – A finishing wax is used as the final step of a multi-stage car detailing process. It actually has no cleaning capabilities. It is often used for showroom cars that have a near-perfect paint job. A finishing wax can give a car a stunning mirror finish and a superior layer of protection.
The type of car wax that one uses will depend on one’s needs.
4. Is Spray-On Wax from a Car Wash Good Enough?
Spray-on car waxes provided by an express car wash are often underestimated. Many spray-on waxes have the same ingredients that are found in most traditional waxes. Spray waxes offer excellent UV protection and durable shine. Many spray-on products can offer protection that lasts up to two months, but Carnauba wax products can provide protection that lasts for six months or more. That’s not bad at all if you’re looking for a quick wax for your car. In general, spray-on wax is an excellent bang for your buck.
Extend the Life of Your Car
While it may seem like car waxes are something that you can skip out entirely, you’ll be doing your car a huge disservice. Waxing your car regularly can significantly increase the life of its paint job and improve its beauty over time. Next time you’re taking your car in for a wash, consider the benefits of adding a spray-on wax.